Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Real Birthday



Ildri's birthday fell on a weekday, which meant it would just be me and her for most of the day. I figured I'd just play the day by ear, and incorporate some of her favorite activities. We decided to go to the library, which has a toddler play area, and enough books to make Ildri go into overdrive. I'm not kidding - every time we're there, she gets a little overexcited and starts pulling book after book off the shelves with this wild-eyed look. She adores books, so seeing that many in one place gets her heart thumping.

Luckily, her dad was able to get out of work early, so he met us at the library. And after her 2nd nap of the day, we broke in the kiddie pool. She loved it! We have used it almost every day since her birthday.



The day was simple, and consisted of lots of extra hugs, and a ridiculous amount of singing "Happy Birthday". I just took so much delight by relishing in my daughter's first year, in her health and development and joy of all she sees. After she went to bed, it was nice to reflect on my own journey through the first year of parenthood. I can't remember a more challenging and heartwarming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment